Tuesday, January 28, 2014

The Business of the Comic Book Industry

I feel I've covered what you need to know about the business. If I missed something you want to know about. Please comment below and I'll get a blog post done for your answer.

Here's what I've covered:
Do You Want to Sell Merchandise With Celebrity Images?

How much do you get paid?

Top Ten Artistic Talent Scale

So You Want to Collaborate on a Comic Book or Graphic Novel?

Words and Art - Comic Book Readers and Creators

Pay the Talent!

Back-end Deal, My Ass!

So You Want to Self-Publish Your Comic Book or Graphic Novel

What are the Page Rates to do Comic Books?

Royalties and Profits in Comic Books and Graphic Novels - The Back End Deal

Comic Book Cog in the Wheel

No Money to Create your Comic Book or Graphic Novel?

Work For Hire - Good or Bad?

Where do I find an artist?

Writer Placing Ads for Comic Book Artists - What Works?

Starving Artists Will Do Anything for Cheap! - A Cautionary Tale

I'll leave you with this quote from an open letter to young freelancers by Mark Waid. I feel it's good information for everyone. You can read the entire letter here.

Be professional. Be a problem-solver. Be willing to compromise in the face of a solid argument.  Be willing to lose sometimes because you’ll learn more that way than you will by always winning. Ultimately, if a client is paying you for your services, he or she has every right to set the specifications, just as you have a right to your integrity. But when people jealous of how you make a living try to rag you with that old truism that every company employee has to eat shit now and then, remind them that you are not an employee. You’re a contractor. You do not receive health benefits, sick days, pensions, vacation time, or any of the other considerations traditional employees receive. Your clients have zero ethical or moral ground to lie to you, to denigrate you, to cheat you, to demand more from you than they’re paying for, to unapologetically walk back on promises or treat you maliciously, or to exploit your need to put food on the table. The good ones won’t. Never trust the bad ones.

read next - Kickstarter is Not for the Meek
previous - Starving Artists Will Do Anything for Cheap! - A Cautionary Tale

Keep reading and follow me. If you have found this helpful, please let me know and share with other creators. Are the explanations clear and complete? Feel free to ask me questions.

Remember… Just Create!

If you are interested in further expanding your knowledge, then I recommend these books.

You can support this blog when you purchase a book by clicking the link below, I get a piece of the action and helps me to continue doing this blog. Support an artist today.

copyright 2014 H. Simpson 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment.

I always like to read your comments.